Globalex Workshop on Lexicography and Neologism (GWLN 2020, @EURALEX 2020)
The second iteration of Globalex Workshop on Lexicography and Neologism will be held in conjunction with the EURALEX 2020 Congress at Alexandroupolis, Greece, on September 8, 2020.
GWLN 2020 is supported by Globalex, the Global Alliance for Lexicography. It will follow on the first GWLN, which was held in conjunction with the DSNA 2019 meeting in Bloomington, IN, and of which selected papers will be published as a special issue of Dictionaries – Journal of the Dictionary Society of North America in spring 2020. Papers from the 2020 workshop are planned to be peer-reviewed for publication as a special of issue of International Journal of Lexicography, in 2021
Our aim is to offer cross-world views on lexicographic detection and representation of neologism for different languages.
We invite papers discussing issues related to neologisms – including new words, new meanings of existing words, and new multiword units – in the context of lexicography and dictionaries, focusing on digital media. Topics include, but are not limited to:
- how to find neologisms (corpus analysis and editorial means of identification; evaluation of data, e.g. blogs and chats)
- how to deal with grammatical/orthographic/pronunciation variation (descriptive vs. prescriptive)
- how to explain meaning with/without encyclopedic information, and how to use illustrations and audio-visual media
- how neologisms that are no longer new and those no longer used can be detected and should be dealt with in dictionaries
- how dictionary users can help with finding and informing about neologisms
- how well are neologisms accepted by the community (rejection and language purism; particular impacts on poorly-resourced languages) and reflected in dictionaries
- which fields (e.g. new media, sports, technology) enrich the dictionary with neologisms most of all
- does the dictionary borrow most neologisms from other languages (and which ones) and/or does the language in question use word formation to enlarge the lexicon
- when do foreign words that infiltrate another language become neologisms
Abstracts including 500-1,000 words are due by February 20, 2020 and will be reviewed by members of the EURALEX 2020 Scientific Committee. Notification of acceptance will be made by April 10, 2020.
Submission is via Easychair – https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=euralex2020# – using the topic Globalex Workshop on Lexicography and Neologism.
GWLN 2020 will take place on the first day of the Euralex congress, from 9:00 to 16:00, preceding the opening ceremony. Participation is free for EURALEX 2020 participants.
Organizers: Annette Klosa-Kückelhaus1 and Ilan Kernerman2